Tuesday, August 14, 2012

How to: Create a Just, Thriving, Sustainable World



I don’t really feel comfortable with calling myself a social activist though with my senior project, I hope to take on the role of a community organizer and as someone who brings about local social change. So maybe this makes me a social activist; I’m not sure.
        What I want to do is overcome the boundaries of a separated world of alienated individuals struggling to grasp and sense of self in an evolving and, frankly, deteriorating world by creating a Thrive Hub at our school. A Thrive Hub is a community model which unites individuals toward a common purpose to educate others and take action. I hope to facilitate a Wake Up, a presentation which asks the questions which addresses the questions of or current status in the world today, for the Napa High community and to educate and inspire my peers to take action themselves.
I have been involved with Thrive Napa Valley for several years which is essentially the adult version of what I want to form at Napa High. After attending the week long training at Whidbey Island with Generation Waking Up, I discovered not only a deeper sense of myself but the impassioned determination to make a change in my own community.
          In my training, I found that to bring about a more just, thriving a sustainable world, we must first change ourselves. By facilitating a Wake Up experience at Napa High and by creating a Thrive Hub, I hope to breach some of the boundaries within our community and leave behind a legacy for students to carry on.







No comments:

Post a Comment