Tuesday, May 7, 2013

AP Exam

I looked at the 2007 synthesis essay which provided 6 sources about the positive and negative effects of advertising.
If I were to answer this question with my own essays, I would have analyzed to various functions of advertising in society, from informational public service announcements and political campaigns to material goods and the cultivation of a person's social identity. I would have discussed the positive and the negative acknowledging that ads can often be helpful and are the way for publications and shows to amass funding however they can also be damaging to individuals and are often largely untrue and misleading. I would have used Sources B,D,E as well as some of my own experience and real world examples.
I felt this one would be difficult for me to have a balanced discussion of both pros and cons and it's difficult for me to weave the sources in as evidence.
The sample essays I read had varying success. One had a detailed discussion of the concept of advertising, a balanced discussions and acknowledgement of both sides. It is well organized and aptly and accurately addresses the prompt somewhat originally.
The other two essays lack proper organization and indepth discussion of the topic and lack the details of the other essay.
This topic and set up was similar to other synthesis essays we have looked at. The format and the various passages were similar. This was one of the early synthesis essays and there are fewer sources however the sources were only passages with no charts or illustrations.
Had I done this essay, I feel like I would have done fairly well if I had been able to organize well and provide a balanced discussion.

No comments:

Post a Comment