Monday, October 29, 2012

Response to "Drugs"

America is a country based on Puritan ideals so of course the legalization of drugs, all drugs as Vidal proposes, seems ridiculous. And it is. This doesn't mean that I disagree with Vidal's point of view. As someone who has seen addiction and the catastrophic affects of drugs, I'm slightly hesitant to give drugs to OK, but from what I've read and the rational arguments in favor of legalization, I'd like to agree with the rationale. Prohibition didn't work, and while it would be silly to put drugs and alcohol on the same plane, the same general rules apply. The decriminalization of drugs makes them even more dangerous.  I support the end of the War on Drugs which has turned Latin America into a violent crime ring and has had largely negative and ineffectual results. I even have a sticker from the Drug Policy Alliance which promotes the legalization of marijuana. I'm not pro drugs but I see the value in legalization.
However, I don't think that the legalization of drugs will come in the near future, a thought that Vidal ominously closes with. It's simply too much of a radical ideal. Marijuana, a gateway drug with minimal addictive qualities and some actual health benefits, may sneak by in my life time.

No comments:

Post a Comment